Thursday, November 12, 2009

Overwhelmed!

I have a LOT of produce. My refrigerator is overflowing with fresh vegetables. For some reason, I just have not cooked my way through the goodies as quickly as I have in the past. So, as I was taking inventory of my refrigerators (yes, there are 2) I realized I needed to do some menu planning. And I am REALLY excited about using some of these goodies… especially the radishes.

So, here’s what’s on tap for the next few days… I’ll post pictures and other ideas as I start cooking.

First of all – I have a ton of eggs and I’ve been dying to using those broccoli sprouts from a couple of weeks ago. I saw a lovely picture of an egg salad sandwich with some sprouts on it a few days ago, so I think that will be our lunch tomorrow and maybe Saturday.

And back to those radishes, first I have a bag full of daikon radishes, which I’ve never used before. I scoured and scoured the internet for some ideas, and have decided to give this one a try – seems pretty straightforward, and we all love Asian food so it should hopefully be a success!

Vietnamese Sticky Chicken with Daikon and Carrot Pickle

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Vietnamese-Sticky-Chicken-with-Daikon-and-Carrot-Pickle-231644

I’ll post a picture upon successful completion!

And those beautiful turnips. I’ve never cooked turnips before, and am excited to give them a try. So I plan on doing a cider-glazed pork roast for Sunday dinner, and serving this on the side (from FineCooking.com):

Cider Glazed Turnips with Apples and Bacon

And for that beautiful bunch of mixed radishes that came in the box yesterday – I cannot wait to put those to use. I found a most unusual sounding recipe and I can’t wait to try it (we’ll see what the family thinks). It will also help to use up some zucchini and put my basil (that’s still thriving in the garden) to good use.

Radish Sandwiches on Zucchini Basil Muffins

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Radish-Sandwiches-on-Zucchini-Basil-Muffins-10550

And on a non-vegetable note, I found a recipe for chocolate Guinness cupcakes with vanilla butter cream frosting. YUM!

This is also looks really good… can’t wait for some kale to arrive in my box!

http://www.phoo-d.com/2009/11/braised-kale-with-white-beans-and.html

No comments:

Post a Comment