Sunday, November 15, 2009

Highlight Reel

Roasted tomatoes

DSC08148 

Ricotta meatballs – thanks Dena for pointing me in the direction of this recipe… they came out awesome! You can find the recipe here!

DSC08217

Here they are getting nice and brown… notice the change in pan. I need to remember to make meatballs in the non-stick skillet. While I love my le cruset… meatballs get stuck there a little too much!

DSC08221

Simmering away in the sauce. I came across a great way to make marinara that is so quick and easy, but tastes like' it’s been cooking forever. Smash about 6 garlic cloves and put them in the pot with about 1/4 cup of olive oil. When they start to get nice and toasty brown (but NOT burned!) add two cans of crushed tomatoes and a 1/2 teaspoon of oregano. Let simmer for a bit then add a few basil leaves to the pot and taste for salt and pepper.

DSC08230

My lovely Daikon radishes. Sliced into matchsticks along with some carrot to make a quick salad to go with the Vietnamese sticky chicken below.

DSC08231

Fried rice as a side, one of Josh’s favorite meals!

This is the recipe I've used for years!

DSC08235

Sticky chicken getting sticky!

DSC08236

Served lettuce-wrap style with a little Siracha to make it spicy!!

DSC08240 

Chocolate-Guinness cupcakes with vanilla butter cream frosting! My sister in law Kim gets props for the beautiful frosting effort. I can’t frost a cupcake to save my life!

 

DSC08252

Ebie gets the left over frosting!

 DSC08251

One of my favorite potato dishes. 3 ingredients: potatoes (I used the awesome Kennebec potatoes from my produce box), butter, salt. Slice potatoes about 1/4 inch thick – using a mandoline makes this SUPER fast. Then melt some butter in the bottom of a cast iron skillet and start layering your potatoes/butter/salt. Get a good sizzle going and then pop it in a 450* oven and cook for about 45 minutes. It comes out golden brown like this.

DSC08265

Then flip it out onto a dish and you have these beautiful golden/crunchy potatoes on the top, and soft, buttery potatoes on the inside. I served it with a ribeye steak and some creamed spinach. TO DIE FOR.

DSC08268

1 comment:

  1. So many great ideas in one post! Fantastic Julie! Thanks! -jch

    ReplyDelete