Sunday, February 14, 2010

And for Breakfast….

Breakfast is one of my favorite meals of the day (my others being lunch and dinner), however I rarely go to the effort of making it. It’s usually something quick like a scrambled egg or a bagel and some fruit. But, with guests in the house, breakfast is very much worth the effort. I recently purchased 1/2 a pig from the Farmer’s Fresh Market, so I had a copious amount of fresh sausage in my freezer.

freezer

Also on hand were about 4 dozen eggs, some frozen blueberries and a small bag of dried cherries I’d picked up from Trader Joe’s. Those few ingredients turned out a rather delicious array of breakfast goodies, if I do say so myself!

Cowboy breakfast casserole, courtesy of www.epicious.com. Garlic-butter spread on slices of Italian bread, topped with browned sausage, green onions, cheddar cheese, and my two dozen farm-fresh eggs!

IMG_1665

The world’s best blueberry muffin, recipe from Cooks Illustrated. The clincher in this recipe is taking a cup of the frozen (best quality you can find) blueberries and bringing them to a simmer with a teaspoon of sugar, mashing up the blueberries as they cook. When reduced to about a 1/4 cup, let cool and then drop a teaspoon full on top of each muffin, swirling into the batter. Top all of that with a little lemon sugar (lemon zest tossed with sugar). I had a Meyer lemon on hand, which made the lemon sugar topping all the more delicious!

IMG_1680

And finally, cherry-vanilla scones, recipe from www.finecooking.com. These are nothing like the hockey-puck type scones you find in stores or at Starbucks, these are the real deal! And so easy to throw together!

IMG_1772

No comments:

Post a Comment